From:
- Julie Lyons <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 18:14:27 EDT

Wow! Hot topic!
     I'm surprised to read how many other people love oatmeal but are unsure
if it's safe to eat.  I only had one helpful response to a GF brand of
Oatmeal. (Below) Some people are confused if oatmeal is a gluten free grain.
According to US Department of Agriculture Agricultural Research Service
Western Regional Research Center Albany, CA states that oatmeal is a GF
grain.  Cross contamination in milling is what makes it unsafe.

The Link:  http://wheat.pw.usda.gov/ggpages/topics/

Below are the responses, Enjoy,
Julie
I do eat McCann's oatmeal without a problem. I am also pretty sensitive,
however that really isn't a good base to decide if it is gluten free or
not.
Our local Wild Oats Market also carries Old Wessex Oatmeal and it states
that it is wheat free on the label.

I hope this helps.

Jennie Strode

Julie,
Having not had oatmeal for 20 years after loving it while growing up, I took
the chance and tried the McCann Oatmeal about 6 months ago.  I had been
reading all the e-mails concerning this product for the past year.  I did not
have any adverse reaction at all.  However, I eat it no more than once or
twice a month just to be safe.   My situation is that usually with just the
slightest amount of gluten in a food product that is ingested by mistake
(which is rare), I will have an adverse reaction.  Hope this helps in your
deciding whether or not to try McCann's.
Good luck.
MARSH
Hello - the only oats I've heard are definitively GF are Scottish oats.  I
have no idea where to get them, but it is absolutely necessary that they
come from Scotland.  The alternative would be to grow your own, and they do
grow well in temperate climates.
Jean
I get so nervous when I see people asking about oatmeal.  There was ONE study
that
said it was ok....but traditionally, it has been a serious no-no. I got
seriously
sick on the stuff.  Please be careful
Hi,
Go to this site:
http://forums.prospero.com/celiac/messages/
and look at msgs #13516.1 - 13405.1 - 13231.10 - 13594.1 - 13281.1 - 13430.1
- 13265.1  and all the msgs on those very threads.
You,ll have extensive informations there,
Good luck,
Mireille
Hi Julie:

My two cent's....I use McCann's Steel Cut oats and have never had a reaction
from it.  I actually prefer the larger oat pieces as it seems to me, the
smaller grains of wheat or other flours would fall out during the sieving
process.

I did have terrible reactions to both Mothers and Quaker brands.
Yes. McCann's. They very clearly say they are oatmeal dedicated in their
message.
They warn about contamination in their supply chain. This is not like a
bicycle
chain. It is the series of suppliers from the farm to their loading dock.
Very
likely it is the same supply chain used by any other oatmeal miller,
dedicated or
not.

The 500 PPM of contamination that they cite is too high for celiacs to use in
quantity, but for a bowl of oatmeal a couple of times a week it will be fine.
Tom
Oatmeal is a gluten there is none that is gluten free I know because long
before there was any milling I was forced to eat it right from the field and
it made me sick every day so don't let anyone tell you any different.
Lily
hey, I just use McCann's and have never had a problem with that... .05% is
good enough for me
Julie
as far as I know oats have gluten in them.  They are not
gluten-free.
Valerie