Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Kit Kellison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 05:14:01 -0700

Here is the response Sen. George Allen (R) of
Virginia sent me regarding my asking him to
support S.2001:

Dear Kathryn:

        Thank you for contacting me with your views
regarding the Food Allergen Consumer Protection
Act, S. 2499.  I appreciate
your sharing your opinions with me and I value
your input.

        As you may be aware, this legislation would
require manufacturers to label foods containing a
"known allergen," whether or not the inclusion of
that ingredient was intentional or unintentional.

These types of allergens include milk, eggs,
fish, shellfish, tree nuts, wheat, peanuts,
and soybeans.  Additionally, any product that is
a derivative of the known allergens would also be
included in the requirement.  Other grains
containing gluten would also be noted on the food

label.  This bill includes spices, flavorings,
colorings, or incidental additives that are
or contain a known food allergen.

Agencies such as the Food and Drug
Administration, specifically established to
review such complex issues as food labeling,
already have the authority to address such
concerns, and regularly update and revise
food labels to take advantage of the latest
scientific knowledge.

Currently, this bill is before the Committee on
Health, Education, Labor and Pensions, of which I
am not a member.  Please know that I will keep
your views foremost in mind should legislation
dealing with FDA food labeling come before the
full Senate.

Once again, I appreciate you alerting me to this
matter and please do not hesitate to contact me
again about issues important to you.  As we
strive
to protect our nation's cherished freedoms while
embracing new opportunities for all Americans,
please know that I consider it a high honor and
privilege to work for you in the United States
Senate.

With warm regards, I remain

Sincerely,

George Allen

***************end of letter from Sen.
Allen******

I have some questions about this letter, perhaps
people on the list can help me out:
1.) If I have to be smart enough to navigate the
possibility of being poisoned every time I eat, I
am going to be too smart not to notice he isn't
answering my question as to whether he is going
to support this bill.  Why does he even try to be
so evasive?  I think it is because the real
answer is "No, I don't think your health is as
important as big businesses and their freedom to
deceive you as to what is in their products."
I am miffed!  Is it me, or is it him?

2.) Also, if he is right, that the FDA has the
ability to require the labeling of these
products, why aren't we all over them all day
every day?