VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 07:11:20 -0500
Nelson,

When I made the statement you referenced, it followed a description of
the Altair 8800, the world's first personal computer which was sold as a
computer kit.  Yes, of course there were huge machines that broke down
frequently and required whole teams of people to run them.  However, a
computer as we know it---a stand alone machine small enough to work in a
home or office running on a microprocessor with a means for input
(keyboard) and output (monitor)--didn't exist at that point in time.

Kelly