From:
Fred Nielson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Nov 2002 11:53:00 -0500
Rick,

  Before spending a lot of time and/or money, you might check that the 4P's
lock (on the back) has been in the lock position while it has been moved
around.  If not, you may find it has been knocked out of alignment, making
it worthless.  New USB scanners will cost less than repairing the 4P.
  I bought a HP 4P a long time ago, back in the early Win95 days.  I've used
it with all my later generation computers and OS's.  I keep it because I
need to periodically scan legal size, and it's been a real workhorse.
  Anyway, during the migration to later OS's, I eventually abandoned the HP
ISA SCSI controller as drivers were not available.  I got lucky and found a
single channel PCI SCSI card with a 25 pin external port that W2K had native
drivers.  I skipped WinMe, went from Win98 to W2K.  As a bonus, the PCI card
seemed to make scanning faster.
  Almost any SCSI controller will work, the 4P doesn't require a specific HP
card.  You want a SCSI2 with an external 25 pin connector.  If you can't
find drivers for the card you have, you might try searching for a PCI single
channel card.  They aren't easy to find, though a second-hand shop might
have one.
  A multi-channel card will work, though I'm not sure if the 4P, or it's
cable, will terminate the chain.  If you're willing to role the dice on
that, you might try this $10.50 card
http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=DC-315E.

Fred Nielson