Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 10:28:21 +0900
Anita Dittmar wrote:

> Hi...I'm Anita and I'm new to the list.  I thought I'd jump right in with a
> question.
> My herbalist has put me on a candida-reducing diet to be combined with the
> Paleolithic diet.  My concern right now is the cost.  Meat and produce seem
> to be quite expensive.  How much money do you find you spend on food?  Is it
> a lot more than before you switched to this way of life?

I don't think it is more expensive, mainly because I spend
so much less on junk food, restaurants, and beer. My snacks
now are usually nuts and seeds, which seem expensive, but
are so filling that they end up taking the place of more
chips and junk.

Meat is much the same. It looks expensive at first, but when
you realise that in fact you fill up very fast on meat, and
don't have to eat huge quantities of other foods to feel
satisfied, it actually isn't so expensive.

Of course, if you were deliberately eating as cheaply as
possible before, filling up on cheap pasta and oatmeal, a
switch to fresh veggies and meat would be more expensive.

There are ways to reduce the cost. For example, turkey is
usually the cheapest meat, chicken is close to it. If you
buy fresh salmon, you will naturally spend a lot more money.

I try to buy the meat that is on sale. Meat is usually sold
at reduced price just before it is taken off the shelf. This
meat is still fine, and you can save a third or more. Ground
beef and pork are also cheap.

Do you have a pressure cooker or a crock pot? The cheapest,
toughest old meat can be easily cooked very soft.

The advantages of paleo keep me sticking to it, in spite of
the disadvantages of inconvenience and cost. It really is
worth it. Get your candida cleaned out, you will really feel
better. I started feeling better within a few days of
starting paleo, and have noticed other gradual improvements
over the last year. Good luck!