From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Oct 2002 10:26:21 -0500
> Food irradiation has been around for many decades now, but is coming to
the
> forefront because of a push by the meat industry. Friends say they won't
> consume any irradiated food because it "changes" in some way that is
assumed
> by them to be unhealthy.
>
> Does anyone have any science about this? Good science only, please. No
> magnets or crystals.

Perhaps the unintended consequences are more interesting. For instance,
right now the fact that beef is grain fed leads to high anti-biotic use
which leads to e. coli "super bugs" and these can find their way into meat
that is ground in a central facility.

The irradiation might substitute for reforms that would otherwise lead to
safer meat in general (for instance, getting away from corn feeding, say.)

I am sure there are numerous other unintended consequences. On the benefit
side it will mean that meat stays cheap for many people who couldn't
otherwise afford it.

--Richard