From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 07:10:27 -0500
On Thu, 24 Oct 2002 11:54:15 +0900, Tom <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I believe the mega-fauna were not only found in europe and
>north asia, but all over the earth (except South America)
>during the last glacial. ..
>Also, not all of Africa was dry during the glacial era. What
>is now the Sahara desert was a rich, wet, cool hunter's paradise.

The sahara was a desert in glacials too.
See http://www.esd.ornl.gov/projects/qen/nerc.html
it has nice maps.
In the first 1000ns of years  of the warm time the sahara must have been a
pleasant place to live, maybe like today's temperate europe.
I don't see very fat megafauna there - no need for fat for the animals.

There was really fat megafauna in some places and I think it was close to
icy regions, where the mammoths lived.

If we want to look at africa, as the probable home of homo up to the year
40,000 I'm waiting for a list of fat and abundant animals.
I haven't found fat data on african ice-age fauna so far.
I've seen some pictures of such animals. Sabbertooth tigers and suchalike.
Humans were hunted by sabbertooth tigers. I've read about a hominid skull
with holes fitting exactely the teeth of such a tiger.

regards

Amadeus S.