From:
Johnny Battle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 10:51:04 -0700
Cordain:
"Additionally, wild animals typically have extremely low
body fat during most of the year and only have significant fat depots
(still
much less than grain reared domestic animals) in the Fall and early
winter.
Hence, year round supplies of high saturated fat food was simply
unavailable
to the majority of the world's hunter-gatherers."

This seems to get right at the heart (or the fatty thighs) of the Paleo
food issue. Audette et. al maintain that h-g humans gorged on fat at
every chance and, thus, fat should be our main food. But wild animals
don't sit around in feed lots getting fat. If gobs of fatty tissue was
only occasionally available and our ancestors were forced to eat lean
meat most of the year, then why would we have evolved bodies that
flourish on slabs of saturated fat intake at every meal?  Maybe we
should have a big high-fat meal once or twice a year (Thanksgiving and
Christmas?) and eat lean meat the rest of the time...

John B