From:
Jennifer Dube' <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 06:10:08 -0700
Well, it's (almost) official. This is my shortest
fall/winter illness ever. My fever broke last night as
I sweated up the sheets. This morking I am coughing &
blowing grossies, but I distinctly feel that my body
is no longer making more. I feel ... good. That sick
feeling is gone. By tonight I should be normal. Which
puts my recovery at 2 1/2- 3 days. Yippee!!

Thank you to everyone who helped. I have saved all
your suggestions, so if there is a next time, I won't
have to suffer as much.

I was especially interested in the information that
bacteria feed on sugar. I was starting to suspect that
that was the case. I certainly didn't feed them very
much yesterday. I had a Bojangles grill filet minus
the biscuit for breakfast (basically just a chicken
breast), and went to the Chinese buffet for dinner. A
plate of meat & some veggies (broccoli, 1 or 2 pieces
of onion, some string beans, some red & green pepper),
egg drop soup, hot tea (very strong), then a second
plate of just meat. I know there was probably some
sugar/starch/soy in these foods, but this is the first
time ever that I haven't caved in the face of
eggrolls, battered shrimp, & the like. I even skipped
the fruit. I also quite enjoyed the dirty looks I was
getting for fishing meat & chicken out of the various
buffet dishes <g>.

Overall, I am quite pleased with how my low carb
semi-paleo diet is helping me. I have fallen off the
wagon many times in the past, because I simply hadn't
been convinced that it wasn't a "diet" or an
aberration, it was truly healthy. I had been
brainwashed by the idea that attractive, mature women
are supposed to be fat (never mind that this ideal
came about in agrarian societies). I guess I have to
thank the Eades & Protein Power for the anecdote about
ancient Egyptian society (haven't read Audette or
Cordain yet). I'm finally convinced.

I can't believe how easy it is to avoid diving
headlong into my old "comfort" foods - chips & dip,
Nabisco Veggie Thins crackers, ramen noodles,
CHOCOLATE!!! I have low carb snacks & approximations
in the house, & I don't even need those.

Anyhow, I tend to babble a bit when I get excited.
Thanks everyone.

Jen in NC