From:
Elizabeth Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 02:04:50 EDT
In a message dated 10/17/02 5:22:48 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

> What was interesting about that experiment was the way
>
>my appetite kept increasing.  I have done near-zero carb before, and
>
>also noticed a gradual increase in appetite, and eventual weight gain.
>
> I guess a reasonable hypothesis is that in addition to the absence of
>
>DIT, my rate of gluconeogenesis is inadequate.
I assume you are burning ketones? Usually ketosis is accompanied by lower
appetite. If you're gaining weight, I wonder if your gluconeogenesis isn't
working overtime creating glucose which then triggers insulin to stimulate
fat storage.  Assuming a 90% fat diet consisting of 2600 calories that would
mean 2340 fat calories -- you should not have gained -- unless you were
breaking down muscle which then stimulated insulin. Have you kept the 2 lb.
weight gain. I lost a few pounds on a greater fat diet -- but then perhaps my
fat percentage was too low before. Also I think I ended up eating fewer
calories. It was hard to do however because I had to eat out several times.
And I wasn't prepared to simply eat the pats of butter.

Namaste, Liz
<A HREF="http://www.csun.edu/~ecm59556/Healthycarb/index.html">
http://www.csun.edu/~ecm59556/Healthycarb/index.html</A>