From:
Theola Walden Baker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Oct 2002 22:01:44 -0500
From: "Alex Shvartsman"

> There are obviously 2 camps of paleo eaters: fatty meat eaters and lean
meat
> eaters.

No, there are three camps.  --Those of us (or am I alone here?) who eat a
variety of cuts, some of which are lean and others fat.  I eat whatever my
taste buds yearn for at the time.  --Or is there some kind of other
internal, self-regulating signal?

Someone asked recently whether the taste for fatty meat is inherent or
acquired.  Who knows?  But I could ask this about aversion.  For myself,
I've never, ever been able to eat pure fat on meat.  I can't stand the taste
and texture.  Someone mentioned "gag."  That's my response, too.  I cook
meat intact but trim the fat off at the table.  I've trimmed since
childhood, but it wasn't a learned behavior since the rest of my family ate
every scrap.  And my husband eats fat, too.   However, I do really like a
number of fatty cuts, so long as the visible fat is eliminated before bites
are taken.   To my taste, nothing is more sublime than a (trimmed) rib
steak. Still lots of fat here, but finely marbled intra-muscular.   I also
happen to like pork loin, which is very lean and "dry" to the mouth.

Theola