From:
Marilyn Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Oct 2002 14:19:24 -0400
Hyperinsulinemia

Hyperinsulinemia is an endocrine disorder characterized by a failure of our
Blood Sugar Control System (BSCS) to work properly. It manifests when
Insulin progressively loses its effectiveness in sweeping the blood Glucose
from the blood stream into the sixty seven trillion or so cells that
constitute our bodies. Insulin levels in the blood rapidly rise to damaging
levels and, together with the resulting elevated Glucose levels, account for
much of the damage to our Arteries and Vascular system. When Insulin loses
its effectiveness this loss is not due to any change in the Insulin produced
by the Pancreas. It is due to a change in the cellular metabolism of almost
every cell in our body. Although our Insulin has not changed, our cell
metabolism has changed. Our cells no longer respond to blood borne Insulin
signalling as they should.

Our Blood Sugar Control System works like any type 0, negative feedback
system to maintain our blood sugar at a predetermined setpoint. This
setpoint is below the threshold where excess Glucose can cause Vascular
damage. And the Insulin required to do this is normally below the threashold
where it will cause Arterial or Vascular damage. When the Blood Sugar
Control System is working right, it automatically, without our concious
knowledge, maintains correct blood sugar with a minimum amount of Insulin
whether we have just eaten a meal or been fasting and exercising for a week.

When our system starts to exhibit Hyperinsulinemia, our Pancreatic Beta
cells simply increase Insulin production and for a time this maintains our
ability to swiftly lower post prandial (after eating) blood Glucose. For a
time this maintains normal Glucose levels, albeit by the secretion of these
abnormally high Insulin levels.

At some point during the progressive loss of effectiveness of Insulin, our
Pancreatic Beta cells may no longer produce enough Insulin to manage normal
post prandial and fasting Glucose. This may occur because our Pancreas
becomes exhausted by trying to maintain abnormally high Insulin levels
needed. It may occur because the progressive failure of our cellular
metabolism has created a chronic demand for Insulin beyond what even a
healthy Pancreas can supply. In either event, when this happens Type 2
diabetes is diagnosed. Of course, Hyperinsulinemia has been around for some
while, often for a long while, by the time this diagnosis is made.

The fat and oils connection to Hyperinsulinemia, and thus to all of the
diseases mentioned on our home page, clearly parallels the rise of the
Hydrogenated and Refined fats and oils business. Although not well known
outside of research circles, (for reasons that are probably economic), the
connection between artificial fats and oils and the Hyperinsulinemic
destruction of vital functions is now well established. Recent advances in
the the study of appropriate cellular biochemical pathways have been most
revealing.

FAX: 1-508-437-5514