From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Oct 2002 19:26:28 +0200

Elizabeth Miller wrote:

> Not to worry Amadeus -- she is 17 years, a genius who will probably go to
> Johns Hopkins, Berkeley or Stanford next fall.

Congratulations for your daughter. For me children are a major pleasure
of life. It was a very good feeling for me to see my beautiful 16 years
old son (1,88 m tall) playing the piano 1 hour ago.

The breastfeeding warnings on a low calorie diet go first hand to the
mother I think.

On the Blumberg book:
 > He says if a human had access to abundant sources of low protein/
 >high fat food -- he would store the fat, raise his leptin levels and
 >then stop eating.

Sounds good, the "stop eating".
Unfortunately few humans have and had access to abundant sources of low
protein/high fat food.
Actually only in the arctic - for Inuit,
or with abundant nuts in the environment.
Stephansson ate 18% protein, I recall.

In temperate climates low protein/high fat would be difficult.
Look at 2200 g wild boar:
protein
     429,0  g(73%)
fat
      74,4  g(27%)
carbohydr.    0,0  g(0%)

Nuts would be
protein
      50,4  g(9%)
fat
     218,8  g(84%)
carbohydr    37,1  g(7%)
(350g walnuts).

And why not energy from carbohydrates?
I mean if we disregard the spoiled insulin regime many people display.
Carbohydrates beeing very low (or even low-carb) would tend to fall
below the 500kcal for the brain (ok, 250 in ketosis). Causing extreme
tendencies to eat any source of carbohydrates (this is life essential,
the brain cannot survive hypoglycemie for even minutes). When eating
low-carb the only way to get to glucose would be to eat more protein.

To look at a tuber (yams, 2400 g)
protein
      48,0  g(8%)
fat
       3,1  g(1%)
carbohydr   537,6  g(91%)

Or let's think of our fruitarian primate anchestry - I tried a fruit mix
(fruit is not only the sweet watery items seen in the supermarkets):
Breadfruit dried        650 g    1809,9 kcal
Mango fresh     1000 g    602,3 kcal

energy
    2412,2 kcal    2198,9 kcal    110 %
protein
      30,0  g(5%)            46,0  g(12 %)         65 %
fat
       9,3  g(3%)            -1,0  g(< 30 %)     -930 %
carbohydr   532,8  g(91%)

1000% Vitamin C, wow.
Protein is quite low. You could add some termites or nuts. Or the body
could invoke it's DIT energy-burn-off technology.
At least I've never seen overweight fruitarians, may it be humans or apes.

I'd be curious to hear what Blumberg sais about carbohydrate energy.

regards

Amadeus S.