From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Jul 2002 09:18:08 EDT
I love meat, fish etc and would not find it difficult at all to eat
exclusively meat.  However, when I have tried  nearly this on numerous
occassions in the past (under 15 carbs from green veggies or berries per
day), I get the following side-effects:  constipation, difficulty performing
high intensity exercise (sprints, weight lifting for example) and perhaps
most distressing for me, a female, tremendously excessive hair shedding.  I
was a patient at the Atkins Center and was told by several nutritionists
there as well as a doctor that worked there for numerous years, that the hair
shedding is a common occurance, but never got any explanation as to why --
rather they just kept loading me up with more and more vitamins.    I was
already taking a multitude of vitamins as prescribed by the Center during
this time so it was certainly not from a deficiency, and I was eating an
average of 90 grams of protein per day and unlimited fate which should be
more than adequate for a 5'2" female.  Many theories abound as to why the
side effects occur, and the most reasonable one is that severe carb
restriction can negatively impact the thyroid.  I'm not saying it always does
and there are certainly many people on ketogenic diets that do not suffer
side-effects, but there are also many who do.  Any thoughts?