C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yvonne Craig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 14:28:28 -0400
This warning from Health Canada just came through from our chief pharmacist here at work. Thought I'd pass it along FYI. I don't know if the FDA has issued such a warning yet.

Text is below but here is the URL for the website:

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/english/protection/warnings/2002/2002_49e.htm

I know a few of you take various medications, including for some of the conditions they list here. Wouldn't hurt to check it out with your pharmacist or doctor.

Yvonne
¯------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 21, 2002
For immediate release

Advisory
Health Canada is advising Canadians not to take certain drugs with grapefruit juice
OTTAWA - Health Canada is advising the public not to take certain drugs with grapefruit juice. Although interactions between grapefruit juice and certain drugs are well documented in the medical and scientific literature, this information may be unknown to the public.

There are several substances in grapefruit which interfere with the way your body handles certain drugs. Consuming grapefruit juice (fresh or frozen) or grapefruit sections can increase, or less commonly decrease, the effects of some drugs, which could lead to serious or even life-threatening adverse reactions. As little as one glass of grapefruit juice (8 oz./ 250 mL) can cause this effect.

Certain drugs and health products used in the treatment of the following medical conditions are known to cause this effect:

Anxiety
Depression
High blood pressure
HIV/AIDS
Cancer
Irregular heart rhythms
Infections
Psychotic problems
Erectile dysfunction
Angina
Convulsions
Gastrointestinal reflux
High lipid (cholesterol) levels
Organ graft rejections

The public is advised NOT to drink grapefruit juice or eat grapefruit in any form, if you are taking medication for any of the conditions listed above, until you have talked to your doctor or your pharmacist about the potential for an adverse reaction.

Also as a precaution, AVOID taking any drug with grapefruit juice until you have asked your doctor or pharmacist if it is safe to do so.

While sweet oranges and their juice do not appear to cause the same reaction, sour orange juice such as that from Seville oranges, may have an effect similar to grapefruit juice. Tangelos are a hybrid of grapefruit and may also interfere with drugs. Most other citrus fruits, such as lemons, limes, citrons, naturally sweet oranges and tangerines are considered safe.

Media Inquiries:
Ryan Baker
Health Canada
(613) 941-8189