C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"BG Greer, PhD" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 10:41:13 EDT
In a message dated 6/12/02 7:34:10 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

>There was a fellow on the list, Brent Edwards, who also has his private
>pilot ticket (still here Brent?).  He spoke of how difficult it was to
>pass
>the medical (as was my experience), so it's pretty much proof-in-the-pudding
>that the FAA is doing its job of screening erstwhile pilots for medical
>problems, ADA notwithstanding.  Most of the gu'ment aviation authorities
>have a rectal/cranial inversion, but I've got nothing but respect for the
>Oklahoma City medical boys.

Kyle,

    Where the FAA is hard on the pilots is in the case of traumatic brain
injury. ANY evisence of that and you are out! Witness the FedEx pilot who
literally saved Memphis hub after being claw hammered in the head. He
performed a 180 degree turn at 1800 ft. with full fuel tanks and a full load
of cargo. Talk God intervening. And now he can never fly again. My colleague,
Charly Long, does most of the neuropsych's for the FAA
here.

Bobby