AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dick Bank <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 00:50:17 -0500
The news here is not good. The URL you sent Ellen is to a page containing
an advanced Flash presentation. The person responsible for the creation is
really a genius. I will give them that.

I can tell you that this will remain inaccessible in its present state.
There is no way to retrofit this kind of presentation. Besides being
inaccessible to a screen reader, links included. The text is so small that
it would be difficult for many people to read disability or no disability.

The presentation could be created with a series of imagemaps with ALT tags,
but it would not be as pretty.

This is a perfect example of being seduced by technology. I really need to
write an article about that and find someone brave enough to publish it. I
am as guilty as anyone else. I have to step on my keyboard many times
because I would love to show off what I know. The reality is that for the
most part, this kind of technollogy is not effective communication.

I can tell you that many browsers will not display this presentation for a
number of reasons.

It saddens me to see that an organization like ala would not catch this
before it got to this point. I am sure it was not intentional on anyone's
part. Someone just got the job and they created something pretty that would
catch the eye of whoever was responsible for signing the check.

I sometimes think that for every step forward we take two backward.

I am guessing that the reason you can't get the map is because your browser
does not have the most current version of the Flash player. I would have
thought Netsape would have told you that.

To repeat my point. The present page is not fixable with the Flash
presentation. Good luck to the person who trys to create an alternative
version. The presentation is complex, believe me.

Sorry for the bad news.

Dick