VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nelson Blachman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nelson Blachman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 May 2006 20:27:08 -0700
John and Mark,

  I'm pleased to know about JAWS 7's insert+4 for obtaining most of the
ASCII characters that I've been getting from my character file by cutting
and pasting.  This new JAWS feature will often be much more convenient.

  Below is what Google's just given me about the unit of length called an
"em."  An en is half the length of an em; I learned this long ago from
crossword puzzles but only later learned about en dashes and em dashes.
They're thinner than the hyphen, and each has its particular typographic
uses.  For example, in "the Michelson-Morleuy ether-drift measurement," the
two men's names are connected by an en-dash because this isn't someone's
hyphenated name; the "ether" and "drift" are connected by a hyphen, since
they form a compound adjective.  The em-dash is like a minus sighn, and a
two-em dash is used to separate off a parenthetical remark.  It's like dots
3 6 twice.

  --Nelson
The em:
. A unit of measurement equaling 12 points or 4.5mm.
www.laurel.minutemanpress.com/resources/glossary.html

. In composition, a unit of measurement exactly as wide and high as the
point size being set. So named because the letter "M" in early fonts was
usually
cast on a square body.
www.compulabel.com/index.asp

. a typological measurement, so called because it represents the width of
the widest character in the alphabet. In general use it is a synonym for
pica
em.
www.npage.org/resources/glossarye.html

. SEE: electromagnetic spectrum.
rain.prohosting.com/entcom/e.htm

. A relative measurement of horizontal space _ it's a measurement because it
is equal to the width of a capital "M". It's "relative" because it's the
width
of the capital "M" in whatever font and size you're dealing with.
    www.rockprint.com/dictionary.shtml