VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
PETER ALTSCHUL <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
PETER ALTSCHUL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Feb 2006 17:05:39 -0500
Tollbooths on the Internet Highway

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/20/opinion/20mon1.html?hp The New York Times
February 20, 2006

Editorial

When you use the Internet today, your browser glides from one Web site to
another, accessing all destinations with equal ease. That could change
dramatically, however, if Internet service providers are allowed to tilt the
playing field, giving preference to sites that pay them extra and penalizing
those that don't.

The Senate held hearings last week on "network neutrality," the principle
that I.S.P.'s - the businesses like Verizon or Roadrunner that deliver the
Internet to your computer - should not be able to stack the deck in this
way. If the Internet is to remain free, and freely evolving, it is important
that neutrality legislation be passed.

In its current form, Internet service operates in the same nondiscriminatory
way as phone service. When someone calls your home, the telephone company
puts through the call without regard to who is calling. In the same way,
Internet service providers let Web sites operated by eBay, CNN or any other
company send information to you on an equal footing. But perhaps not for
long. It has occurred to the service providers that the Web sites their
users visit could be a rich new revenue source. Why not charge eBay a fee
for using the Internet connection to conduct its commerce, or ask Google to
pay when customers download a video? A Verizon Communications executive
recently sent a scare through cyberspace when he said at a
telecommunications conference, as The Washington Post reported, that Google
"is enjoying a free lunch" that ought to be going to providers like Verizon.

The solution, as far as the I.S.P.'s are concerned, could be what some
critics are calling "access tiering," different levels of access for
different sites, based on ability and willingness to pay. Giants like
Walmart.com could get very fast connections, while little-guy sites might
have to settle for the information superhighway equivalent of a one-lane,
pothole-strewn road. Since many companies that own I.S.P.'s, like Time
Warner, are also in the business of selling online content, they could give
themselves an unfair advantage over their competition.

If access tiering takes hold, the Internet providers, rather than consumers,
could become the driving force in how the Internet evolves. Those
corporations' profit-driven choices, rather than users' choices, would
determine which sites and methodologies succeed and fail. They also might be
able to stifle promising innovations, like Internet telephony, that compete
with their own business interests.

Most Americans have little or no choice of broadband I.S.P.'s, so they would
have few options if those providers shifted away from neutrality. Congress
should protect access to the Internet in its current form. Senator Ron
Wyden, an Oregon Democrat, says he intends to introduce an Internet
neutrality bill, which would prohibit I.S.P.'s from favoring content
providers that paid them fees, or from giving priority to their own content.

Some I.S.P.'s are phone and cable companies that make large campaign
contributions, and are used to getting their way in Washington. But
Americans feel strongly about an open and free Internet. Net neutrality is
an issue where the public interest can and should trump the special
interests.

* Copyright 2006The New York Times Company