VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
George Cassell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
George Cassell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 2005 01:48:47 -0800
Nelson --

Years ago    , I had problems with my local Radio Shack not wanting to open
the battery compartments of various items I brought in for battery
replacement.  So I called the District Manager, and explained that, being
blind, it wasn't very easy, if at all possible, for me to locate, remove and
replace the batteries on various items.

He then immediately sent out a memo to all the Radio Shack stores in the
Orange County (California)  area, advising them that they were henceforth
REQUIRED  to assist in any way possible, any blind or visually-impaired
customer who entered their premises, opening, identifying testing and
replacing as necessary, batteries that needed replacement, without any
additional charge to the customer, other than the actual cost of the
replacement batteries themselves.

I have had absolutely no trouble with batteries of any kind, in any kind of
device I have brought into any Radio Shack store since then.

I strongly suggest that, if you are given any heat whatsoever about the
replacement of batteries at your local Radio Shack store, regardless of the
type of device, or where it was even purchased, that you personally contact
the local Radio Shack District Manager in your area, and explain your
plight.  I'll virtually guaranty you that you'll get things changed.

-- George