VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 8 Nov 2003 08:30:10 -0500
Harry,

That's a noble idea.  First, you have to understand a bit about the
processes that are taking place for scanning to turn the information into
speech.  When information arrives into your computer from the scanner, it is
in a picture 'image' format.  To recognize the text (letters, words etc.)
inside this picture, software is needed.  Remember a picture can be reduced
to formations of dots on a grid (at least that's one way of looking at it).
Optical Character Recognition (OCR) is the name of the process that analyzes
the picture image and makes sense of text it finds therein.  It's a pretty
complicated process.

Another way of looking at what you're asking about, is that OpenBook is
precisely what you're asking for, right?  It translates the scanned image
and reads it aloud without any other speech program needed.

Hope this helps.

-Ed

http://bluerockbnb.com
Blue Rock Bed and Breakfast