VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 00:52:23 -0400
Hi folks,
Wanted to post this to more than 1 list because I need answers here.
I have 2 clients who use Window Eyes for the first client, and the other uses Narator for a screen reader.
What I want to do is I want to help them not to have to buy something like Kurzweil or open book, etc. to read.  Why can't they just scan something with a scanner and read it using Window Eyes or Narator?
I tried this in Window Eyes tonight.  I use the Optic Pro scanner.  I brought up Window Eyes, then I went to programs, then went to my Plustec scanner, then I went to recognita ocr and hit the letter r for read.  It scanned the document, but when I tried to read it in Window Eyes, using the up and down arrow keys, it spoke a weird language, not english.  It was like from another country or something.  Now, when I use my open book or kurzweil, it scans it and reads it in english.
So, tell me step by step how I can get a scanner to scan and read back in english a printed document without having to buy open book, or kurzweil or vip by spending $1000?
There's got to be a way to make a screen reader do what a program like open book, etc. can do.  We all know that Window Eyes or Narator can do word processing in notepad, or in wordpad.
take care,
Harry