VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Aces News <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aces News <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 22:07:20 -0400
Hi Gordon:

Spam is named for that canned meat.  It's something that is everywhere but
nobody wants.  If I remember my internet history, spam email was named after
the Monty Python skit of the same name.  Spam is unsolicited bulk email
attempting to sell you a product or to get you to forward an email to all
your contacts.  The simplest definition I can think of is that spam is just
like that ton of unwanted junk mail you receive in your mailbox or like
telemarketing calls at supper time.  It's unwanted annoying and in some
cases borders on illegal.

If you want a more detailed definition, do a google search on "definition of
spam" and you'll get tons of hits.

Hope this helps.

James