VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tom Fowle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Fowle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Nov 2002 08:51:44 -700

Rich and All
I meant to have mentioned this problem in my original post about
voting machines.

It is very true that as of currently available systems deaf blind
folks are left out.

I wouldn't call this discrimination, which I define as leaving
someone out on purpose when there is a way to let them in.

The problem comes down to technical standards that havin't been
developed yet for communicating between the voting machines and
braille devices.

there is nothing that can't be done, there is no need for new
technology.  All you need is a serial port on the voting machine,
which some probably allready have, and an agreement between the
manufacturers of both as to how the devices will talk to each
other.

There was a previous thread on this topic in which several of us
went through the idea of technical standards in some more deetail
than was appropriate for this list.

So I won't do it again.

The only solution is for organizations for the deaf blind to make
the problem known to the manufacturers of voting machines the
manufacturers of braille devices, and get the political process
going.

Perhaps the federation or the council could weigh in on the side
of deaf blind folks too, and perhaps they are.

Again, at least for deaf blind folks who know braille and who
have braille computer devices, the problem is not technical, it
is political.

With all, I'd bet somebody will have to go to court to make it
happen, that's usually the way it works.

best
tom Fowle

Net-Tamer V 1.12.0 - Registered