From:
Ken Shearer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 11:03:50 -0500
Ashwin,

Need MUCH MORE information, such as (1) computer specs (processor speed, amount of RAM, etc.), (2) operating system (I suspect Windows 9x or ME), and (3) is there any pattern to what you're doing (i.e. what applications, what activity you're doing) when these hang-ups occur.

When I encounter this situation on client machines, I usually run Norton Utils (be sure you use a version that's compatible with your operating system).  You can even borrow a copy, and launch the program from the CD, although you can't undo any changes the program makes (but then, who would want to, if it fixes their problems?).  Then I have a good discussion with the client as to what applications, which start automatically with Windows, he really NEEDS to have start automatically.  Anything he doesn't emphatically insist on, I shut down (Ctrl-Alt-Del to Task Manager, and shut down everything that's not needed...the only programs needed for Windows to function are Systray and Explorer).  To prevent these from restarting in the future, click Start, Run, and type MSCONFIG in the text box, and then hit enter.  Then choose the Startup tab, and uncheck any programs which aren't needed (you DO need System Tray).  You DON'T need AOL, AIM, Real Player, etc.  Those can all be started manually when you need them.

The point is, lock-ups occur primarily because multiple programs are trying to access the same part of system RAM at the same time, or RAM is being maxed out, or the swap file can't be accessed rapidly enough to keep up with the processes that are going on.  Unless you've got a fairly substantial amount of memory and blank hard disk space, it doesn't take many 'background' applications to be running to lock a machine up (especially Win 9x and ME).

Good luck!

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com