From:
Jana Eagle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 20:05:24 -0600
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> We've discussed on more than one occasion
> Jared Diamond's description of living with hunter-gatherers in New
> Guinea, and how the bulk of the food came from plant gathering.

Has the book Mutant Message Down Under been mentioned?  It is a novel
about a woman who lives for a few months with a "lost" and unknown (to
western humans) tribe of australian aborigines.  she describes in some
detail the foods that she ate with them (sorry, I wish I could
remember the specifics but I remember grubs, reptiles, eggs and
kangaroo, and some plant foods that i have never heard of).  Because it is
a novel we can't say it is scientific but she must have got the
information somewhere and some say that it is a true story.

Jana