From:
Maddy Mason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 17:30:07 EDT
In a message dated 10/23/02 9:24:36 AM,  Matt Baker <[log in to unmask] writes:

<< . . . from what I have gleaned on the subject is that CR practitioners cut
cals to
*lower* their metabolic rate which in turn reduces the number of free
radicals.  >>

This is one of the theories on how the benefits of CR work, but I don't
believe anyone knows for sure, what the actual mechanism is.

>Fewer FR = longer life.

This is another theory, which in practice, doesn't always pan out. The well
known CARET study, for example, where smokers were given supplemental doses
of beta carotene in an effort to combat the free radicals produced by
smoking, was a dismal failure. The treated group wound up with MORE cancers
than the placebo group.

> Many CR-ers also eschew exercise for the same reason,

Our resident Paleo-fitness expert, Philip Thrift, could probably address this
issue better than I, but I do know that in animal experiments, those who had
their weight reduced via exercise alone achieved no longevity advantage over
ad lib feeders, while those whose diets were restricted but received no
additional exercise, lived the longest.

>but avoiding exercise is little problem since many experience
lethargy/weakness.

Again, in animal experiments, this has not been the case. CR animals
generally not only live substantially longer than their fully fed comrades,
but are much more active and energetic as well. Among humans, there are many
on the CR list who, as you say, are plagued with a variety of serious health
problems, including, but not limited, to osteoporosis. There are also a
number of "Paleo-cronies" who, in my limited observational opinion, seem to
be a lot healthier. Many on the CR list are vegetarian or nearly so; some are
even vegan. Many eat extremely low fat/high complex carb diets. I don't think
I need to expound upon the folly of this type of diet here!<G>

Lastly, I would like to take issue with the very definition of CRON. CR=
caloric restriction. ON= optimal nutrition. The CR part may seem obvious, but
really, it is not that simple. Recently some on this list have pointed out
that they pack away in excess of 2000 or more calories a day and maintain a
low body weight. Others, myself included, will remain overweight, and some
substantially so, eating fewer than 1000 calories a day. So the definition of
the CR part is going to vary substantially from one individual to another,
but is generally thought to be whatever amount of caloric consumption will be
necessary to get a person to something less than his "setpoint" weight. What
is the setpoint? Plenty of discussion rages about this, too.

Now, as for the ON part, well, THIS is the Paleo list!

Maddy Mason
Hudson Valley, NY