From:
The Getty's <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 08:10:18 -0400
> Has anyone considered the possibility that evolution
> will never help us to tolerate grains and other "farm
> foods?" In order for us to adapt, these foods would
> have to kill the weaker of us before we produce
> offspring, ensuring that only babies that can eat
> grains with no ill effects will be produced. I don't
> see this happening. Since the diseases of modern
> civilization seldom kill those that are too young to
> have children, we will adapt at a far slower rate, if
> at all (unlike the birds given in a previous example).

Good points, but I do think some of this has happened, as there are some
places in the world where people have been eating grains and they seem to do
quite well.  These places may be inhabited with the people whose ancestors
were among the earliest grain eaters, such as near the Middle East and north
of that area.  I don't remember the names of these peoples but I remember
that they don't seem to have the degenerative diseases that other grain
eating peoples have.
The point about the problems of grain eating showing up later in
life........that is true.  You can have lots of babies while you are
degenerating from grain eating.  But I think that a culture that has their
middle aged people becoming ill from these diseases would not be as healthy
overall, and may not be as successful, as a culture in which people live
older and are healthy at an older age and can help the younger, child
bearing people of the community.
Paul

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses by Cape Lookout Mail Server]