From:
Maddy Mason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 13:12:43 EDT
In a message dated 10/19/02 7:16:36 AM,  "Balzer, Ben" <[log in to unmask]>
writes:

<< Well said Maddy,

But indeed you can you can the same for almost any nutritional variable and

Paleo diet. >>

Yes, this is very true. (See next post)

>For sure salt would be less harmful on a Paleo diet. To begin with salt

exerts much of its bad influence through its acidifying effect (via the

chloride ion). Paleo diets are usually more alkaline than Neolithic diets.

So salt won't be as harmful to someone on a Paleo diet because the alkali

will neutralise some of the acid from the salt, but it is still bad for you.

Possibly, but consider that water is bad for you too- if you drink too much
of it! Yes, there have been a number of cases of people who actually died
from drinking too much water, but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up
water!

>IMHO Very little has been factually tested in nutritional science. Low fat

diets for weight loss are an ideal example- when you press dietitians for

the original references that back up the recommendations all you get is a

few small studies that are mainly short term and a lot of hot air.

Exactly. This is why virtually ALL those studies such as those currently
being discussed on this list re: the dangers of fat causing cancer are
meaningless, unless those same variables are tested in the context of a Paleo
diet.

Maddy Mason
Hudson Valley, NY