Date:
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 12:23:00 +0900
Theola Walden Baker wrote:

> But, Don, where would I have learned it from since everyone in my family ate
> the fat except me?  I had no other point of reference in early life, and as
> far back as I can remember I've never liked the taste or texture of fat on
> meat.

I was the same as a kid, hated fat and grease unless it was
hidden. Picky eater anyway...

Try trimming the side fat off of a nice fresh steak, salt
and peppering it, and eating it raw. I still don't much like
the taste of cooked beef fat, but the raw is nice. Very
mild, pleasant flavor, even unsalted, a little crunchy. It
is good, as long as the meat is fresh. I don't worry much
about the bacteria, but I do take a few precautions.

I eat a little yogurt, on the theory that the bacteria in
yogurt will compete with any bad bacteria. Seems to work, at
least I have never had any trouble. I also strictly avoid
carbs when eating raw meat. Bacteria need sugar (most of
them) to grow and divide, so an all fat and protein meal
does not give them the chance to increase their population
to dangerous levels. Tea is also suposed to inhibit
bacteria, and I usually drink tea all day long anyway. Too
much probably. It would probably be better not to drink
during the meal, to allow the undiluted stomach acids to
kill as many bacteria as possible. Salmonella is resistant
to acid, so you need the strongest possible.

Anyway, I haven't had any trouble. I don't think our paleo
ancestors had any trouble, but they had a lifetime to build
resistance to raw meat parasites.