From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 14:12:03 -0400
Matt Baker wrote:

>For the last month I've been eating at carb levels that just this last
>spring would have put me straight into ketosis and kept me there.  Now I
>can't seem to get into ketosis at all.

But you can't trust the readings of ketostix.

>Or is paleo ketosis somehow different from ketosis induced by non-paleo
>diets?

I don't know why it would be any different.

>Sometimes, I'll get a brief, fleeting whiff of ketones on my breath after my
>morning hill climb or afternoon exercise class, or once in a while I'll wake
>up with the taste in my mouth (even though I eat my daily carbs at the
>evening meal).   I occasionally will test w/ketostix, but they're usually
>negative or register maybe, maybe a faint trace.   I don't know what's going
>on here.  Neoglucogenesis?

Maybe, but keep in mind that ketostix only detect *excess* ketones
excreted in the urine.  If you're not putting out a lot more ketones
than you are burning you may get rid of most or all of them in breath or
sweat and not in the urine.

The accurate way to test for ketosis is a blood test, but this is
usually not done.  The urine test is easier and cheaper, but it is less
accurate.   Jack Goldberg reported doing some testing in his clinic and
finding that a large number of people eating 50g a day of carbs showed
no ketosis in the urine test, but were positive when a blood test was done.

Todd Moody