From:
Hilary McClure <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 11:02:27 -0400
Adrienne Smith wrote:

> Andrew,
>
> Meat and Fat + Oily fish sounds ok BUT I thought that the fat of US feedlot
> meat is actually high in omega6  and NOT saturated fat.  (Cordain mentions
> this -- see brief article link below -- I would love to hear that he is wrong

He doesn't say that anywhere in the article, as far as I can tell. I
would be surprised if he ever said that anywhere else either, because it
is wrong. The fat of grain-fed feedlot beef is generally about four
percent PUFA and the rest of the fat is about 50/50 SFA/MUFA. WITHIN the
small amount of PUFA the ratio of n6 to n3 is high, two to one or more.
You can look these figures up in the USDA nutrient database:
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl
And you can check that Cordain article again, but of course feedlot beef
is high in saturated fat. Even the wild game Cordain reports on usually
has more saturated fat than PUFA.