From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 18:51:34 -0400
Tom Barber wrote:

>No one really knows what causes psoriasis, or what makes it go away.
>Spontaneous remission is quite common for some folks, rare in others (me).
>They do know that it has something to do with the liver, ans so anything
>that greatly stresses the liver is suspect as an inflamitory agent.  That
>said, sometimes John Doe's psoriasis goes away after a meal of peanuts, so
>soon the grapevine has it that peanuts are a cure.

I also find that it is seasonal, in my case.  I'm likely to have a
"flare-up" when the seasons are changing, i.e., spring and fall.  At age
49 my condition is very mild -- a few lesions here and there.  My
father's has always been more severe -- large elbow patches.  When I was
about 17, my psoriasas was extremely bad.  My scalp was very badly
affected and I had significant amounts of psoriasis elsewhere.  At 19 it
went into remission and has never come back on that scale; just the
occasional lesions that I mentioned.  It is quite possible that my
"tomato hypothesis" is bogus, but it seems to work, and maybe the
placebo effect is doing the heavy lifting.  That's okay with me.  Like
you, I tried other exclusions, such as gluten, all nightshades, etc.,
with no effect.