Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 15:57:09 +0900
Adrienne Smith wrote:
  Are wild rice and brown rice considered
> gluten grains?  If not, does anyone have any other reasons that they may be
> harmful?

Wild rice technically is not rice, it is a different plant
that happens to grow like rice in shallow water, so people
call it rice. I don't know much more about it, except that
the American Indians ate it.

Japanese, short grain rice is called "glutinous rice". It
has a protein that makes it sticky. Anyone know if this is
the same gluten as wheat? I eat small amounts of rice pretty
often. It has nothing like the effects of wheat on me. Wheat
gives me severe headaches but I have never noticed any
particular effect from rice other than the normal full
feeling that any high sugar meal gives.