C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 12:50:06 -0400
Kat,

You probably don't have the same opportunity as I to watch kid's programming
(lucky me! LOL!), but there are a few well produced shows.  PBS has a series
of afterschool cartoons under the umbrella of "PBS Kids". The Learning
Channel has its share as well.

The only problem I have with Sesame Street, especially the early shows, is
that the "inclusion and diversity" messages seemed forced and unnatural.
That's just my take.  Your mileage may vary.

For sheer fun, Nickelodeon features prime time cartoons that appeal everyone
(ex. "SpongeBob SquarePants").  They don't presume to preach or teach,
unlike the PBS programming (which, I believe is carefully produced by teams
of child psychs and "educators").  The network, for some reason, dropped my
favorite: "Ren & Stimpy".  Not sure if your familiar with the 'toon, but it
was wonderfully un-PC--an absolute middle-school male "gross fest"!
Nose-picking, flatulence--you name it.  Watching the cartoon makes me feel
like a seventh grader again.

Kyle