C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Chris Lahiff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 16:08:21 EDT
In a message dated 10/9/02 3:25:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> How are things going with Ava Rose these days?

Awww thanks for asking about us!!!  Ava will be 6months old next week!(i
can't believe it!!) And she is growing so quickly... She is attempting to sit
on her own and is scooting all over the house... it wont be long before she
will be more mobile then her Momma!!  eeekks!!
 We don't have that lady coming to help us anymore because it got to the
point where i resented her for helping me w/ the things i knew i could and
wanted to do myself .. Taking care of Ava on my own is definately a challange
on me physically, but as she gets older i am finding that its becoming easier
on me since she can sit almost unassisted and has good back strength and
holds her head up properly... And if I could use one word to describe on how
i do this on my own, it would be ADAPTATION!!  There is a way to do almost
anything.... for an instance, if i have to moving her from one room to the
other, instead of carrying her and putting us both in a risky position, i use
the stroller.... and when i do, she loves it and it becomes a game to
her...the best for both of us=)
Being a disabled parent has put so many new perspectives in front of me, so
much that i am working w/ the local Center of Independent Living to see if
maybe i can start a support group for those parents w/ physical and cognitive
disabilities... it would help me in that i will get to meet other disabled
parents and i will feel like i'm helping others by sharing my story...
I know this turned out to be a novel, lol.... but thanx again for asking
about us.... i should be online a bit more now that she can find things to
entertain herself w/o being right there every minute....
here are some new pics....
 <A HREF="http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=1221569&uid=720031">avarose : Gallery</A>
loves!
Jenn and Ava