BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"J.A. Drew Diaz" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 13:46:05 -0500
Resort building-

I was working, as a trim carpenter, on a Condo project in Aspen one
summer.
My buddy Freddie Jones was the electrician.
The Drywall Contractor- who may have been the GC- evidently low balled
the hell out of the drywall, 90% of his crew was young college type guys
with brand new tools and belts- who obviously were longer on brawn and
enthusiasm than experience.

I go into a unit to set up, notice that all of the outlet boxes have
been rocked over and inform Freddie.
Freddie finds the guys and asks how he is supposed to start installing
devices with the boxes all covered. He tells Freddie, in some colorful
language to just work it out. Freddie comes to me and asks to borrow a
rig axe and procceds to chop a channel around the rooms 2’ off the floor
and around the doors, rips down the sheet rock and starts installing
outlets and switches.

Later that night Freddie & I are sitting around the Jerome and here
comes the Rocker with blood in his eye and a few of his huskies.
Freddie says “Well I guess this is it” and we both reach for longnecks.
This guy get’s up in Freddie’s face and I’m thinking this must be that
apoplexy I’ve read about.  He’s so mad all he can do is stutter.  Fred
is looking at him, I’m looking a Freddie, I’m looking at these 2 college
jocks and thinking this is going to get ugly.  Fred bursts out laughing,
the guy shakes his head and gets his first intelligible words out- “When
did the fucking electrician start listening to the drywaller?”, and
leaves.
The next day I pickup a few extra bucks giving a crash course seminar on
cutting out for back boxes.