BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Donald B. White" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
``We've no telephone, and we've stopped opening our mail. You can't imagine how free we" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 09:59:06 -0400
Message text written by "``We've no telephone,          and we've stopped
opening our mail.  You can't imagine how free we"
>Caught a spam claiming that the United Nations gave you the privelege to
drive freely throughout the world.  (Convention on International Road
Traffic
1949 and World Court decision, The Hague, Netherlands, January 21, 1958.)
<

There is, or used to be, such a thing as an International Driver's License.
It costs some nominal fee, but does not substitute for a driver's license
issued by your home country or country of residence. It is really of no
particular value, since I believe it is not issued to anyone who does not
already have a valid driver's license, and the license you already have is
normally accepted in foreign countries, if you want to drive while there.
If you are in a foreign country for an extended stay, local laws require
you to get a local license anyway--just as is required if you move to a
different state in the USA.

DW