BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Callan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 4 May 2002 19:49:12 -0500
It was a sad day.  The line had been crossed.  There were more than enough
guns and more than enough anger.  I remember the following weeks in slow
motion bits of conversations.  A warning that expulsion of my ass was already
on the mind of the school president, an angry converstation with my dad a
week later.  He was in an MBA program and no student picket line was going to
keep him from going to class...and me declaring that he didn't have to worry
about the picket line, 'cause he'd never get out of the driveway.

Dad and I chose not to fight it out in the driveway.  We went into the back
yard and had a beer.  Later that summer we did almost three weeks on the
Adirondak canoe trail.  Not good times.  But turning times.  Later that
summer white middle class folks, my fathers age or so, were protesting on the
village green in Westport.  It was not my generation that ended that
goddamned war...it was theirs.  I don't care what Brokaw thinks.  I think
their moment of greatness came when they chose not to order their children to
shoot their children.

I hated being a "hippie radical"  I wanted desperately to be a patriot.  I
grieved the loss of life that day.  I also grieved the loss of the pride and
innocense of the young guardsmen.

Let us not forget Jackson State.

Thanks for the flashback Larry.  I think.

-jc