From:
Mike Freeman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 09:43:00 -0700
Phil:

I remember those days well myself.  Sounds like your friend from the
school for the blind would also have willingly subjected himself to the
Chinese Water Torture "just to see what it was like". <grin>  Listening to
WWV all night takes real dedication.  On the other hand, I can remember in
college when my watch broke, I'd just leave WWV on quietly in the
background while I was studying so that I had an idea (subconsciously, at
least) of the passage of time and wouldn't be late for classes and the
like.  Obviously, this was long before talking clocks.

And as a small kid -- perhaps three years old -- when telephone companies
still had Time of Day recordings (they had them well into the 1980's),
before I realized that there were recordings, I used to think how funny it
was to have that lady lying there in regal splendor, saying the time every
ten seconds.  I always wanted to get up about three in the morning to see
if I could catch her yawning! <grin>  If you think *that's* dumb, it's no
worse than the antics of a friend of mine who, as a small girl, used to
walk around to the back of the radio (a console in the livingroom, of
course) and request it to play certain songs.  No record as to whether it
responded or not!

73!

Mike Freeman <[log in to unmask]>
Amateur Radio: < K 7 U I J >