From:
Tom Behler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Mar 2003 22:15:11 -0500
    Sure, Mike.  Here goes:

I connect the output terminal of my HF rig to the input terminal on the SWR
meter.  Then, I connect the output of the SWR meter to the input of the
versatuner.  Then, the antenna I am using is connected to the "antenna"
connector on the versatuner, and that's all there is to it.  The audible
tuning aid I use is one of the old Conway models, but I know Handihams makes
newer ones for very little money.  My tuning aid is put across the SWR meter
via a jack in the back of the meter, though this can also be done via a
standard SO239 connector.  When I tune for lowest SWR, I put the SWR meter
on reverse SWR, and tune for the lowest pitch, which will indicate lowest
reflected power.

One caution is that you have to do the tuning procedure on the lowest power
setting for your rig, and you can't forget to turn the tuning aid off when
you start transmitting on full power, or you will fry the tuning aid.

Aside from that caution, the set-up works fairly well.

Certainly doesn't beat an autotuner, but it sure is better than nothing at
all.

Hope this helps.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Best 73 from Tom Behler:  KB8TYJ