From:
Ivan Fetch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 18:32:02 -0700
Hello,
   Thanks again to those who have written with some info about which
handhelds they are happy with - I appreciate it.

   I've found a try-band radio (Icom IC-T90) supporting 6 meters, 2
meters, and 70
centameters, and reports the frequency you're on in (variable speed)
morris code.  i'm wondering whether anyone has personal experience with
this radio, and whether the voice chips available for other radios offer
any other functionality than reporting the current freq via voice?

   This radio seems it can be had for around $250, close to the prices of
the other Kenwood handhelds I've been looking at.

   Icom's info about the radio can be found here (I've pasted the info
below for convenience):
http://www.icomamerica.com/amateur/dualhand/ict90main.html

   There is also a PDF brochure at:
http://www.icomamerica.com/support/documents/brochures/ic-t90a.pdf

Thanks,
ivan.

----------
IC-T90: 6 Meter/2 Meter/70 CM
tri-band HT. Getting back to basics
with big
performance.

This pocket sized tri-bander is loaded with high performance features, yet
is small enough to take anywhere. Designed for one-handed operation, all
radio
functions are easily accessed via the color selectable backlit keypad.
Lithium - ion power lets you enjoy a full 5W of power on all bands, for up
to 6
hours of operating time! Wide band receive from 495kHz to 999.999MHz*,
JIS-4 weather resistant construction, weather alert scan, and more.

Read the IC-T90 press release.

Features:
5W Output Power
Wide Band Receiver - 495kHz - 999.999MHz
555 Alphanumeric Memory Channels
CTCSS/DTCS Encode/Decode w/Tone Scan
Backlit Keypad & Display
JIS-4 Weather Resistant
Weather Alert
Versatile Scanning Modes
Li-ion Battery
Die-cast Aluminum Case & Chassis
PC Programmable w/Optional Equipment

More details:
Up/Down Switch
Can be customized for volume control or channel selection
Backlit Keypad
Enter frequencies or memory number and use special function keys to toggle
between different modes, memory banks, and more.
Tuning Dial
Can be customized for channel selection or volume control
External Jacks
Connect an optional speaker-mic or headset for more privacy.
Connect to your PC for programming & cloning
Rugged Construction
Die-cast aluminum case and chassis coupled with JIS-4 weather resistant
construction make the ‘T90 great for active outdoor operation
Small, Take-Anywhere, Size
Dimensions: 2.5”W x 3.4” H x 1.15”
Weight: 8.5 oz.
Lithium Ion Power
Enjoy a full 5watts of power on all bands and up to 6 hours of operating
time!
Large Backlit Display
Shows the operating frequency, set mode contents, battery indicator,
relative signal strength, etc...
Wide Band Receive
495kHz - 999.999MHz
AM/FM/WFM.
Preprogrammed TV memories. Listen to shortwave, AM & FM broadcast radio
stations, police, fire, military, aircraft, and various amateur bands.
Morse Code Synthesizer
A first in amateur HTs! Announces the operating frequency in morse code.
With adjustable code speed.
Weather Alert
Keep track of the weather
Checks for National Weather Service activity during normal operation. When
a weather emergency occurs, the ‘T90 automatically switches to the weather
channel
and 6M/2M/70CM
Selectable Colors for Backlit Keys
Choose from Orange, Green, or Red