From:
Henry Brugsch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Henry Brugsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 18:01:51 +0100
I'd say a good angle is a loop.
Basically, about 140 feet of wire fed at one corner with coax will do the
job.
I don't think length is all that critical. Shape may be some what, height,
may jnot be such a factor.
Mine runs aabout ten feet at its highest point.
It runs round the house, and across the back yard.
It's not a howling success, but it works better than anything of it's ilk I
have used before.
It loads from 80 to ten with a tuner, no problems,
and I can work all round Europe with it on 40, and 20.
I'll be interested in what others have to say.
One of the most fantastic things I heard was, Jean shepherd, what's his
call? k2ORS? He had a vaccassioner antenna from B&W. This thing was the
ultamate in simplisity, yet, from his caravan, he did a fantastic job,
always put a strong 20 over 9 into Boston Ma. from Florida.
I worked him regularly for a week on 15 with a beam on my end.
The vaccassioner is like this:
a long whip about maybe 6 feet, or possibly less, that collapsed into a
clamp.
The clamp had provission for hooking up a set of simple hand-formed-type
coils that could be attached for what ever band you wanted.
The book, and Shepherd himself reccomended about 20 feet of wire as a
counterpoise hooked to the clamp. You could make such an arrangement with
some hook-up wire, and a group of coils.
Nothing to it. But, the price was right too, about 11 bucks, and it looks
real good.

--
MAILTO:[log in to unmask]
HTTP://LISTENTOHEAR.CO.UK