From:
Don Bishop <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Don Bishop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 15:27:43 -0700
My first real communications recemver was the hq120.

I got it used and believe it was made before ww2.  It wasn't too bad as
a novice receiver, but the images on ten meters were something to
behold.

If you weren't paying attention, it was easy to get confused as to
which ten meter band you were listening to: the real one or the image
one.

It was a lot like the hq129in front panel design, the main difference
was that it had different knobs and the 129 had far better image
rejection.

My first "new" ham receiver was the Halicrafters sx71.

It was general coverage and went up to 60 Mc, not MHz in those day.
<grin>

It was a really great receiver except for two thing.

It drifted like crazy and on 20 and above you had to keep transmissions
rather short or you'd really have to tune for the guy you were talking
to.

The other problem was that the dial cords had a nasty habbit of
breaking and replacing one of those things involved major surgery.  I
had to do it several times.

Don W6SMB