VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

"VICUG-L: Visually Impaired Computer Users' Group List" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Ted Chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 May 2003 11:39:08 -0700
Hi, David and all others on this list.  Frankly, despite the article's
assertions, the ADA and its backers will be no match against against the
DMCA and its backers in court.  While the U.S. Suppreme Court has yet to
rule on the DMCA, it has ruled twice in the past 3 years on copyright
issues, both were 7-to-2 decisions, and both supported the rights of
copyright holders over the rights of copyright users, and I expect the same
7-to-2 majority will hold when challenges to the DMCA come to the High
Court.  In the short term, I expect that efforts such as JAWS working with
Adobe Acrobat 6.1 as sent by Peter Altskull on earlier posting, have the
most promise of breaking the deadlock.  In the long run, I think Congress
will change the law--but I'm guessing at 10 to 20 years down the road (there
appears to be a generational gap on this issue).
All of that said on a narrower focus, Representative David Price
(Democrat-North Carolina) has just introduced HR2255.  This bill, if passed,
would give noncommercial radio stations (such as ACBradio) an additional
year's time to negotiate with the recording industry on rates, logging
requirements, and webcasting restrictions.  Mr. Price is looking for
co-sponsors.  Call and E-mail your representatives your views on the matter.
  For more information on this bill and other noncommercial webcasting
issues, please visit the Save-Our-Streams website at
http://www.rice.edu/cb/sos.  While this website was designed for college
stations, the Small Webcasters Settlement Act of 2002 places all nonprofits
in the same category so this would apply to ACBradio's music service as
well.
That's all for now.  Take care.

Ted Chittenden