Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Ken Engelhart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 15:42:48 -0400
I think that it does make sense to apply a non-uniform standard of evidence.
An short article last year in Skeptic magazine commented on the difficulty
in doing studies to determine what is good to eat.  The author suggested
that it may be several generations before we have all the answers.  My
reaction to the article was: "Well what are we supposed to eat in the
meantime?"  I think the Paleo diet gives us a "null hypothesis" that we can
start with.  Studies that encourage us to eat non-Paleo foods should be met
with extreme skepticism.  As Carl Sagan said, extraordinary claims require
extraordinary proof.  If that is proof is forthcoming, start eating.  ( I
for example have convinced myself that red wine has passed the test.   But
maybe I lowered the standard.)  Similarly, studies that show that paleo
foods are bad to eat should be met with skepticism.  But again, given
sufficient proof we should not eat those foods. Ken