From:
"Bonnie N." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bonnie N.
Date:
Sun, 6 Oct 2002 22:24:16 -0400

Dear Loop Members,

I received 16 replies and personally THANK EVERYONE for their suggestions!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Three people suggested that Baskin & Robbins could assist me.  I had
completely forgotten about them and we DO have one within a 30 minute drive.
Might check that out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One person suggested using Nutriwhip.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One person told me to check with local bakeries that make ice cream cakes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One person suggested that I simply ask Dairy Queen if they will sell me
THEIR icing for my own cake.  Duh...why didn't *I* think of that!

Another person said that Dairy Queen has a gluten-free ice cream roll.  Will
have to check into that, too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One person suggested using a mixture of cool whip and yogurt.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two people suggested Carvel.  Darn!  We don't have any of those here in West
Michigan!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And here are some other random posts I received:

I just covered my son's with chocolate whipped cream--the one in a can.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Use the icing ONLY part of this recipe:

http://www.cooksrecipes.com/cake/ice-cream-cake-recipe.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I suggest a cream-cheese based icing with butter and conf. sugar.  (8 oz.
cream cheese, 1 box icing, 1/4 cup butter, softened with gf vanilla added).
I make an icing like this and freeze it sometimes when I have leftovers.  It
never hardens too much.  I've also frozen a cake after icing it, and it
formed a desireable consistency.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm not familiar with the kind of icing you're trying to duplicate, but I
know that you can create the "hard shell" cone dipping kind of icing by
mixing chocolate (pick some that is GF, of course) with a small amount of
paraffin, you need to melt them together and mix.  I don't recall the
proportions, but we used to use this for candies we made, a peanut
butter/powdered sugar/rice krispie mix dipped in chocolate.  The paraffin
keeps the chocolate from getting runny at room temperature.

But if you want the opposite, a soft icing, I'm not sure.  I'd try looking
for a butter-based icing, or something cooked, maybe with corn syrup in it.
Check out Karo syrup recipes, see if you can't adapt them.  Most icing
ingredients ought to have ingredients that you can use that are GF.  If
there are other complications, like dairy or corn allergies, it could get
sticky (literally and rhetorically both.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Don't know about DQ's frostings, but my instinct suggests that you make a
chocolate ganache--perhaps using white chocolate so that it's easier to
decorate? Ganache (pronounced "ga-NOSH") is simply a combination of heavy
cream and chocolate, and you can combine them in various amounts to make a
thicker or thinner ganache. One drawback I think though, is that it might be
pretty firm straight from the freezer, in which case you'd want to use more
of the whipping cream in the ganache to make it a thinner spread. Don't
forget to check the brand of chocolate that you use to make sure it doesn't
have gluten in it--Ghiradelli is one that is NOT safe--I've found in general
that the more high-end a chocolate is, the less likelihood of it having
gluten in it. I'd suggest checking chocolates like Callebaut,
Scharrfen-Berger, et al. Additionally, the higher quality chocolate you use,
the higher quality results you'll achieve.

Here's a basic ganache recipe, which you'll want to experiment with. Ganache
will keep in the fridge for quite a while, and I enjoy using it as a
frosting for cakes, or warmed gently and glopped onto ice cream, or
<blushing> on a spoon, LOL.

http://www.joyofbaking.com/ganache.html - This site tells you all about
ganache, and gives a few variations if you're not wanting to spend an
afternoon and $10 worth of fine chocolate experimenting, LOL. One variation
suggests adding butter to the ganache and whipping the mixture to make it
light enough to spread on a cake...I'd still recommend a test-run of the
recipe that you want to use, though. Hope this helps!

Whipping cream with powdered sugar and vanilla will work for frosting, but
you can't write with it.  How about adding some food coloring to make it
pretty?