EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 17:04:37 -0500
Dear colleagues,
I am a student at Ohio University doing a research on Web-based learning and
students with learning disabilities.  I am looking for students with LD who
have
or are taking courses via the Web and their professors to interview and was
wondering if any of you in this category will be interested in helping.

Thanks

Kwesi

Appendix C

Guiding Interview Questions (Instructors and Course Designers)

1. Why did you decide to deliver instruction via the WWW?
2. Tell me about the course.
3. Did you design it yourself or with assistance from an Instructional
designer?

4. How do you design your course to help LD students construct their own
meaning?
5. How does your course promote collaboration among students?
6. What are the major obstacles you face as a teacher in a Web-based
environment?
7. Do you have any students with learning disabilities in your program?
8. Have you ever taught students with learning disabilities?
9. How do you accommodate students with learning disabilities?
10. What are the biggest obstacles facing students with learning disabilities
in
your course?
11. What is your assessment of Web-based instruction in your institution?
12. What is your biggest obstacle in teaching student with LD with mainstream
students?
13. What Web-based course features (student study group, well designed course
session guides, listserv, email, and so on) do you mostly use in your course?
14. Are you familiar with the learning styles of the learning disabled students

in your course?
15. How do you use their learning styles to help them learn in your course?
16. What are some of the positive/negative aspects of having students with LD
and mainstream students in a Web-based learning environment?
17. What types of assistive technology do you use to help students with
learning
disabilities?
18. What are your opinions about the future of Web-based instruction and
students with LD?
19. If you knew you had an LD student, would that change how you designed the
course and teach it?
20. When did your institution start Web-based instruction?
21. What changes would you make in your design if the instructor told you s/he
had students with LD in his/her course?
22. What comes to mind when the instructor tells you to design an inclusive
course because learning-disabled students are taking the class?

Interview Guide – Students with LD
1. Did/Do you integrate prior Knowledge with the information or Knowledge you
received in the Web-based course?
2. In what ways did/do teachers of this course play a learning (facilitator)
role?
3. How did/do you participate actively in the knowledge you learned in this
course?
4. Through chat rooms and listservs students in Web-based courses interact with

one another.  How did/do these interactions facilitate your learning in this
course?
5. What are/were your reasons for taking a Web-based course?
6. What are/were your personal learning goals when taking a Web-based course?
7. What are/were your expectations?
8. What are your greatest fears about completing Web-based courses
successfully?

9. What instructor behaviors and teaching approaches make/made a difference in
your learning?
10. What Web-based course features (student study group, well designed course
session guides, listserv, email, and so on) significantly contribute(d) to your

learning?
11. What are/were your challenges/problems (access to professors/course
material
coping with material)/concerns?
12. What Web-based activities make/made you an independent thinker?
13. What efforts(are you making)/ have you made to address these challenges?
14. Do/Did you print documents from the Web or read them on the screen?
15. Would you take a course in Web-based learning environment again?
16. Would you recommend it to other students?
17. Describe a typical session using Web in your course
18. What types of support mechanisms do you have in this institution?
19. Did/Is the course meet(ing) your expectations?
20. What are/were your views of the future of Web-based instruction and