EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jon Gunderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 09:17:28 -0600
There is a difference between complying with guidelines and actually
improving the usability for people with disabiltiies.

Jon

At 02:21 PM 3/14/2002 +0000, Denis Anson wrote:
>According to the folks at WebCT, the current "Campus Edition"
>is fully W3C, Level A compliant.  So, that means that the stuff on
>the screen *can* be accessible, but it is up to the author of a
>page to make it so.  Chat is a major problem for speech, not
>just in WebCT, but in all Chat applications that I know about, but
>content pages can certainly be accessible.
>
>What sort of problems are you talking about?  It could be that
>more specific issues with accessibility would let us give more
>specific feedback.
>
>Denis Anson
>
>On Thu, 14 Mar 2002 08:50:01 -0500 Jim Leja wrote:
>
> > This question may have already been dealt with and so I
>apologize if
> > I missed it, but has anyone had difficulty with WebCT and
> > accessibility specifically related to screen reading programs?
>Most
> > of the faculty at my institution that are using WebCT are not
>making
> > their online courses accessible. My IT folks say that WebCT is
>not
> > too speech friendly.  Can anyone provide me with any
>suggestions on
> > how to either make WebCT more easily accessible or
>suggest other
> > products?
> >
> > James A. Leja, Rh.D.
> > Associate Dean of Graduate and International Studies
> > College of Health and Human Services
> > Acting Director, School of Community Health Services
> > Acting Director,  Ph.D. Program in Interdisciplinary Health
> > Studies
> > Western Michigan University
> > 1903 West Michigan Ave.
> > Kalamazoo, MI 49008
> >
> > Ph.  616-387-2645
> > Fax  616-387-2683
> > Email:  [log in to unmask]
> >
>---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>---------
> > It is a great achievement to avoid obstacles of our own
>making.
> > --Author unknown

Jon Gunderson, Ph.D., ATP
MC-574
College of Applied Life Studies
1207 S. Oak Street, Champaign, IL  61820

Voice: (217) 244-5870
Fax: (217) 333-0248

E-mail: [log in to unmask]

WWW: http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~jongund