From:
Joan Feddish <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joan Feddish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 18:09:44 -0400

Replies to my query, "Does anyone know of a cornmeal that is deemed GF by
the manufacturer?" include:

1 - Hodgson Mills list GF right on the package. Available at Wal-Mart.
Hodgson Mill, Inc, PO Box 430, Tautopolis, Il 62467. Customer service phone
# 217-857-6491.
2 - Aunt Jamina's is (white and yellow)
3 - Lamb's cornmeal...they said that's all they grind
4 - I've used Arrowhead Mills and "House Autry," which I like better. Have
called the company on both of these.
5 - Arrowhead Mills makes a yellow and a blue organic and gluten free corn
meal. I buy it at Fresh Fields.
6 - Kinnikinnick in Canada: www.kinnikinnick.com
7 - I use Quaker or Albers Yellow Cornmeal and have had no problems at all.
I have use either one for several years. Just make sure you get the Corn
Meal itself NOT self rising -the later contains wheat.
8 - I use Albers all the time
9 - I've used Indian Head, which is available in supermarkets with no
problems at all
10- Have you ever tried cornmeal from El Peto ?
11- You can buy a Wheat Grinder (that's what they're called, but you can
grind anything in them). They can do rice, corn, beans, etc., to make GF
flour. Buy a HUGE bag (20#) of rice at Costco, Sam's Club, etc. Use popcorn
for corn flour.
Websites for the grinders:
http://waltonfeed.com/self/grinder.html
http://waltonfeed.com/kitmill.html
http://www.dhi.com/dimensionkitchenmachines.html

My research this week yielded:

1 - "Arrowhead Mills cornmeal is gluten free," according to Carol Ann
Parman, Arrowhead Mills Consumer Services Manager
2 - King Arthur Flour MAY BE gluten free. According to Brett at King Author
Flour, "Our cornmeal may be gluten free, but our grain room is not a
dedicated grain mill. What this means is that because we package things in
our grain room that have gluten, this dust is all over the room and gets
into, in this case the cornmeal."
3 - Bob's Red Mill DOES NOT deem their cornmeal gluten free because it is
not processed in their gluten free room. It shares the same mills as their
gluten-filled flours. They do not plan to mill the cornmeal in the GF room
because many people are allergic to corn, so they do not want to contaminate
their GF products with corn. You can call their 800# for additional
information: (800) 349-2173.

Thanks to all who responded.

Kind regards,

Joan Feddish